Sunday 19 February 2012

Graduation Goggles

It's been a while since I last posted, and while I began my fellowship with the ambition of writing a blog per week, things have become so routine for me that I'm finding less to write about.

I have six week left here in Mombasa, Kenya, finishing up the most fulfilling work experience of my life.  Knowing that my time is winding down and definitely feeling ready to come home, I have been reflecting on what this whole experience has meant to me.

I had a sneaky realization that I may be experiencing "Graduation Goggles".   Urban Dictionary defines this as: "When you are ready to quit something but then start seeing it in a new and positive light".  I'm not saying I went into this with a negative attitude, wishing it to be over as soon as possible.  But there have been challenges and changes in myself that I never expected.

Not your regular office job.

So I guess what I am saying is that I definitely have mixed feelings about leaving Kenya, my job, my colleagues, my friends, my 'mama', my aunties, and the entire community I have come to be a part of during my 7 months here.

I have learned a lot: about Kenyan politics, corruption, international aid, the Kenyan education system, poverty, religion, spirituality, community dynamics, NGOs, partnerships, and field work.

I have developed relationships, created bonds, shared laughs, and had a fair share of frustrations.

I think most of all, I have surprised myself.

I can't wait to see what's in store for the next 6 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment